Re: GEMS 1.11.2 preference voting errors

Follow up to my message which preceeded this one:  North Carolina does not return overvotes to the voter.  They accept all ballots as marked and outstack blank ballots in the write-in compartment (including the "override option" write-ins we've been discussing yesterday and today).  Would this have an effect on the behavior of the "override" option?

Tyler
-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Lancaster <glanca@dieboldes.com>
To: Bug Tracking <bugtrack@dieboldes.com>
Date: Friday, September 03, 1999 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: GEMS 1.11.2 preference voting errors

  Sorry but I was wrong in saying that the Accu-Vote would reject an overvote before checking write-in overrides.  Upon checking the code, all write-in override options are applied before the overvote condition is checked as per requirements.

  This discussion was started by Nel's bug report:

  • A candidate and write-in selected in a vote for one race are returned as overvoted, even though the override write-in rule should effect the selection of the write-in only.
  • Candidacies marked with a candidate as well as a write-in are being tallied as overvoted even though they should be tallied as write-in using the override write-in rule.
which I believe was in error.  Does anyone have confirmation of this behavior?

             Guy