Exception Error on PollBook

I experienced an exception error (see error description below) when trying to execute 3.10.4 PollBook on the computers to be used as pollbooks.  (For Ken's benefit, "on a computer with a good CD-ROM drive.")  It occurs after accepting the access password and while it was displaying its title screen.

This happened after installing 3.10.4 on a 3.9.5 unit and also after installing 3.10.4 on a fresh Win98 (2nd Edition) unit.  On these computers, it appears that the 3.10.4 install-shield does not create a registry entry for PrintReverse.  After adding that entry with a "binary value" of "01" the PollBook software worked fine.  I don't know if it is isolated to these computers or if it also affects the AV-TS units.

If you want the gory details, see below, below, below ...

Error Description
Exception
Failed to query registry entry PrintReverse

Smart Card Test Procedure
I started loading units with 3.9.5 and everything worked well.  Without a database loaded, the only test I could run with smartcards was the following
  • run PollBook,
  • insert a manager card,
  • key in the access code,
  • the pollbook screen is displayed,
  • hit NO to search for election databases,
  • hit EXIT to return to Windows.
With 3.9.5, this all worked.  After I loaded 3.10.4, I started getting the exception error when running PollBook.

The fun I had last night
Below are the steps I took on the 3.9.5 unit:
  • Uninstalled 3.9.5 (yes to remove shared files) and installed 3.10.4.  DCOM and MDAC didn't install but the AV-TS did install.  When I ran PollBook, the exception error occurred.
  • Unistalled 3.10.4 (no to remove shared files) and installed 3.9.5.  Again DCOM and MDAC didn't install but the AV-TS did install.  When I ran PollBook, I had no problem.
  • Unistalled 3.9.5 (no to remove shared files) and installed 3.10.4. DCOM and MDAC didn't install but the AV-TS did install.  When I ran PollBook, the exception error occurred.
  • Added registry entry "PrintReverse" at a binary value of "01".  When I ran PollBook, I had no problem.
Below are the steps I took on the fresh Win98 unit:
  • To insure a clean install of 3.10.4 and its MDAC and DCOM, I re-installed Windows 98 (2nd Edition) on to the computer.
  • Installed of 3.10.4.  DCOM and MDAC installed.
  • When I ran PollBook, the exception error occurred.
  • Unistalled 3.10.4 (no to remove shared files) and installed 3.9.5.  DCOM and MDAC didn't install but the AV-TS did install.  When I ran PollBook, I had no problem.
  • Unistalled 3.9.5 (no to remove shared files) and installed 3.10.4. DCOM and MDAC didn't install but the AV-TS did install.  When I ran PollBook, the exception error occurred.
  • Added registry entry "PrintReverse" at a binary value of "01".  When I ran PollBook, I had no problem.
If anybody else is experiencing problems with the 3.10.4 install-shield and/or running pollbook, please respond to Bug Track immediately.

Ian