Re: Ballots not processed

Steve Ricke wrote:

> We are occasionally receiving tabulators from the field
> with the following problem. User complaint:  During
> election the tabulator LCD will display "BALLOT JAMMED IN
> READER" while the tabulator continues to accept ballots.
> These ballots are passed through the tabulator without
> being processed or recognized by the tabulator.We have fed
> thousands of ballots through these units and have been
> unable to duplicate the complaint.

  We're coming up empty on this one.  As I've mentioned,
this suggests an AV crash but since 1.94w stops the motor
BEFORE displaying the ballot jam message, we're starting to
suspect a ballot scanner crash.  A couple of questions.

1) Steve, what firmware was in the returned tabulators?
Problems like this have existed in older versions.

2) When in this motor run-on condition, do you get the POWER
FAIL message flashing if you pull the power cord?  If so,
then likely the visible light scanner has crashed.  If not,
then the AV processor has crashed.

  This condition is rather serious so we appreciate all the
help that we can get.

            Guy