RE: Central Count - Blank Ballot Feed

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Steve Knecht

Once in a while the central count unit will stop the the message "blank ballot feed", but the last ballot is a standard voted ballot.   We've been recounting it, but it is a strange message given the ballot condition.

I trust you mean "BLANK CARD FEED" and not "REJECT_BLANKCARD".  The BLANK CARD FEED message is not generated by GEMS.  It happens when the AccuVote gets no timing marks at all from the reader.  Feed a completely blank peice of paper into the AccuVote and you'll see the message every time.

It has been a while, but I saw this myself in Pima and brought it up back in Nov 98.  I would be surprised if it doesn't happen in King all the time, but then I wouldn't know much about that.  Its the reader or the firmware, and my bet for a long time has been on the former.  My pet theory is that when it happens in precinct count we never hear about it since a poll worker would just shrug and refeed, and it always seems to take the second time.

Ken