RE: Smart Cards & New Table Top Card Readers

Just for reference:

The tabletop Card Readers has an internal bios chip that gives it its personality programming.  I have found in the past that as the vender updates its product line they upgrade this bios chip to conform to new applications for newer cards in the market.

Since Global does not have an incoming inspection policy to test components as they are purchased, there is no guaranty that we can catch this the problem until it is used in the field.

This happened about a year or so ago in preparing for the Memphis election, when we ordered a batch of tabletops for the PC’s that we used as poll books.  We discovered a different chip being delivered on new tabletop units because “it was better” but did not like our memory cards but did like our Microprocessor cards (the L version).  We told the manufacturer to only ship the old version chip until our DLL was changed to work with their new personality chip.

You may need to find a working unit and compare it to the non working unit to see if the internal bios chip has the same firmware version of the working one.

Jeff I know you may remember this  problem when we were swapping out these chips in the field once the manufacturer sent us the right version firmware.

Good luck

Juan A. Rivera