Write-In does not appear in box after typing it in. Using GEMS 1.17 & R-6 AVTS 4.0.4

I have an election defined in GEMS 1.17.12 with several races that contain Write-Ins.  However, I do not have any text defined for the within position.  On the R-6 AVTS unit, the Write-In appears blank with the Vote Box next to it.  I am able to touch the Vote Box, it goes to the Write-In window, to type in my Write-In name, I type in the name, but the name does not appear in the box.  When I go back into GEMS, and define text to appear on the ballot, then the name will appear in the box.

JEFF HINTZ
Global Election Systems