From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 7:39 PM
To: bugtrack@dieboldes.com
Subject: Resetting regional results does not flush pending jobs (was RE: Extra results for Johnson County, KS mock election)

I am pretty sure I got this figured...

Look at the Central Count Status Report by Deck report on the main database, you will see 6 decks including decks 0 and 3 which were committed on December 31 2001.

Look at the PServerLog.log file for the main database and you will see all 6 decks transferred at the same time.  The timestamp isn't human readable but trust me they're are all Jan 3.  Look at PosterLog.log January 07,2002 09.27.20 PM Backup, you'll see the same six decks get posted to the database at about the same time.

On the advanced database, look at the CC status report.  There is only 4 decks there, all created on the 3rd.

Now look at at the advanced database PClientLog.log and note how helpful it is.  (Its empty for those playing along).  Had it contained useful information, it would show the 6 decks being sent that were received on the main database side all on Jan 3rd.

Here is what happened:  2 decks were run on the advanced computer on Dec 31, but they were never uploaded to the host.  Resetting on the advanced database clears its local counters, but does not clear the pending queue.  There they sat in the queue until the 3rd.  On the 3rd, 4 more decks were run, and queued with the other 2.  Finally the all 6 were transferred, and confusion ensued.

Here is what we need to do at minimum to fix this:

(1) Fix GEMS so that the regional client's pending queue is cleared with a reset election.

(2) Make the regional server/client logs better than useless.

We'll do this for GEMS 1.17.22.

Finally, ensure that part of their procedures are to (a) print zero reports on both the advanced and main databases before any ballots are counted and (b) check the regional results dialog on the advanced machine and check that there are no unexpected jobs pending before counting starts.