RE: Spyrus units going down -March 2002

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com] On Behalf Of Tari Runyan
Sent:
Friday, March 15, 2002 3:21 PM
To: Bugs
Subject: Spyrus units going down -March 2002

we sent 40 spyrus units out to the polls for the March Primary and there were 20 for the polls and 20 backups - of those 7 failed -  died- had squares going across them - we changed out batteries after they were replaced and it didn't help

Are these units permanently hooped?  Please send all 7 units up to Vancouver, and we will take a look at them.

One thing that we noticed was they were in the same geographic area - (spooky) and they were  very close in sequence numbers 196-200 and a couple others.

Could be a bad run, indeed.  But it is odd that they would break mid stride, rather than not work at all.  Having a Spyrus break while using it is a lot like having your hand calculator break while using it.  There just isn’t a lot to them to break.

I do not think that we should have to rely on more than one backup for each location and if that is the case

I have always advocated three in a polling place given what they cost, but the sentiment is shared.  I would rephrase this sentence as “7/40 failure rate is not acceptable”.

we need to rethink our using the Spyrus at all -

When you have finished rethinking, let us know your conclusions.

The fact that there were 8 keys being used may have something to do with it - but I do not know - and if it does why didn't all of them fail

Maybe.  Good identification of differences from previous installs.  The units have been very reliable up until now.

We need to determine the cause and the solution- I have returned the questionable units to TX and hope to have some resolution -

Damn.   Ian, please reroute.

Ken