RE: Race Label on LCD (was RE: Jefferson County, KY)

I am assuming that it won't take too much effort to make the changes we are contemplating.
That depends.  If we need to make it an option as Knecht suggests, then it is a big effort and probably not worth it.  If not, then it is not.
Tell Jefferson County to give their pollworkers a list of races by race ID number and to train their pollworkers to work from the list.  This would be no more confusing than the scrolling or truncating that is being suggested here.
Well, I don't see how putting the race number and the race label could be more confusing than just the number, but read on.
 But if Jefferson County's pollworkers can't be trained to know that "RACE #37" means "State Senate 7th District" as detailed on a list, I seriously doubt they could be trained to interpret "37:S S 7TH DIST" either (not that I am picking on that particular suggestion).
You are right in this logic.  If they can't figure it out from the table then they are a lost cause, agreed, and need to seek professional help.

I think the feature is more useful for the case that you don't have the race list.  I know when I get that error on the LCD during testing and debugging, I give a little sigh, start GEMS, and look up the number.  Seeing the label would be much nicer.  You don't see many poll workers standing by the AccuVote with a race list in hand.
 I do not think we should spend company resources trying to fix this.
Time for Age of Empires, then!

Look;  its up to Jefferson.  If they want to throw $1-2k at this feature, and we don't have to make it an option, then by all means I think we should do it.  It wouldn't take Guy more than an hour to implement option #2, and the change has exactly zero long term ramifications on the stability of the code.

Ken