Re: AVTS - System Total

In the FEC Standards under the DRE Recording Subsystem

3.2.4.2.3    Public Count

Each DRE voting device shall be equipped with a counter that can be set to zero prior to opening of the polling place, and that records the number of ballots cast during that particular election. The counter shall be incremented only by the casting of a ballot.  It shall be designed to prevent disabling or resetting by other than authorized persons after the polls close.

The Public Counter shall be visible to all designated polling place officials so long as the device is installed at the polling place.

3.2.4.2.4 Protective Counter

Each DRE voting device shall be equipped with a protective counter that records all of the testing and election ballots cast since the unit was built.  This counter shall be designed so that its reading cannot be changed by any cause other than the casting of a ballot. It shall be incapable of being disabled or reset.

The Protective Counter shall be visible to all designated polling place officials so long as the device is installed at the polling place.
The concept of a protective counter comes from the old lever machines that required servicing after a set number of ballots had been cast.  To a certain extent all election equipment should have a protective counter so scheduled maintenance can be done.  Punchcard and Marksense machines are not as critical since accuracy testing can be done after the election and if a problem is discovered the ballots can be recounted on a different machine.

I Bellevue we need the protective counter but I would not worry too much about the ability to reset it as long as that is not possible through 'normal' operations.  If we use the registry for the protective counter I doubt Wyle or any other certification board would be concerned.

Tab