AVTS - Ballot Station - Increase Ballot Access Speed

DATE:			8/19/99
FROM:			Jeff Hintz

Date Requested:	September 15,1999
Jurisdiction:		All Jurisdictions

Description of Requested Change:

Instead of Reading the Smart Card and then writing back to the Smart Cart to disable it, before we start the process of voting, could we read the card and then start the voting process of bringing up the instructions while the Card Reader is writing back to the Smart Card at the same time.  By doing this, we should be able to bring up the Voter Instructions in about 5 seconds instead of 15 to 20 seconds.  Also, could we start loading up the ballot image before you push the Start Button after reading the instructions.  We could be searching and loading up the ballot image while the voter is reading the instructions, before the voter ever pushes the Start Button, not after the Start Button is pushed.

Jeff Hintz
Global Election Systems