Merging of re

 [posted on behalf of Bob who is not on the rcr list - Ken]

We need to have the capability of merging (existing) punch card and GEMS totals for reporting purposes.  El Paso’s files from a previous election (install, all files in directory, all files transferred from EMS to ETP for tabulation and reporting, export file for sending SOS results across Internet) were faxed and e-mailed to you yesterday from Sherry.  These files were also sent to Tab on July 21.  Obviously, this needs to be done ASAP.

Bob Urosevich

The "export" file for the SOS that was sent yesterday contains only summary information.  That is, candidate totals summarized over the jurisdiction.  This means we will not be able to generate precinct reports on GEMS for El Paso.  My impression was that this would not be sufficient.

If summary totals are all they want, let me know.  "Importing" just the summary data would be easy.  In fact, it would take less effort (and less risk) to manually enter the summary information than it would to write an import routine.  There were 20 numbers to enter in the files sent yesterday.  Simply set up a combined counter group in GEMS for the results, and fill in the results.

What is required for a precinct import is an export of these results from their database.  The BRC software they use must have exchanged detail results with foreign systems in other jurisdictions before.  We don't require any particular export file format -- as long as we have the results in some kind of file that has:
Given this we can write custom software to match those entities up with GEMS' own precincts/races/candidates to populate our own database.

Ken