From: Ken Clark <ken@dieboldes.com>
To: rcr@dieboldes.com <rcr@dieboldes.com>
Date: Monday, October 25, 1999 9:46 AM
Subject: RE: 1.94w Roms - Regional Upload

From: Talbot Iredale [mailto:tiredale@dieboldes.com]

I think the better solution would be to prompt for "Upload another" with a time-out.  If the user does not press the yes button within about 30 sec. we should hang up the modem.  This way there is not setup to be done and even in a region if there are no memory cards waiting to be to uploaded we will not keep the phone line open.

Tab

Poll workers need a very obvious "Results Sent Okay, Turn Unit Off".  If you prompt them with "Upload Another?" all you are going to get is a confused poll worker asking herself "Upload Another What?".  I don't think another prompt for poll workers is the answer.

The timeout is not a bad idea though.  How about leaving the "Turn Unit Off" message the way it is, and just time out the connection.  Regional centers are staffed with people trained to ignore the message already, and we don't have to complicate the lives of normal poll workers.

I still wonder whether King is going to be real happy about having to press a button when they *know* they want the line held open though.  Can this be made an option without breaking 1.94 memory card compatibility, and if not would it be a good idea for 2.0?

Ken