Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 9:19 AM
Subject: Fw: Ovals positioned back to back on ballots.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: November 23, 1999 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: Ovals positioned back to back on ballots.

I disagree with Sophia. (brave or foolish?)  This potential restriction would make it very difficult to build public opinion poll, census and survey ballots where 16 channels across are used.
Canadian elections use Sanford Expresso Bold pens where ever possible.  Although this pen has no carbon in the ink, (required for infrared Accu-Votes) Canada does not have any infrared Accu-Votes in the field.
The Expresso is a water based pen as opposed to the Sharpie alcohol based pen, therefore does not soak through, does not dry out, (to produce poor marks) has a strong fiber tip, and produces a filled oval with minimal effort.  Available at office outlet stores, etc.
I would like to see this particular pen included in the approved marking instrument section of our specifications for visible light only.