GEMS Modifications for Hamilton County

The modifications needed for Hamilton County to comply with state law for the March 14 Presidential Primary are these:

We need the ability to list upwards of 35 candidates under multiple sub-headings in one race.

Example:

Committed and Uncommited (Race)

Delegates

Vote for Five (5) (Vote For)

Committed to

LAMAR ALEXANDER (Sub-heading)

() Victor Ashe (Candidates)

() Howard H. Baker

() Lana Bowman Ball

Committed to

PAT BUCHANAN (Sub-Heading)

() Timothy J. Hatmaker (More Candidates)

() Joe Kirkpatrick

() Bob Brown

This example could theoretically continue with as many as 10 sub-headings within the race and as many as 50 candidates under those sub-headings and within this one race. Under law, voters are allowed to vote for 5 candidates from anywhere within this race, no matter to whom the delegate-candidates are committed.

Now that I've totally confused you, I am also faxing you an example of such a ballot from another county in Tennessee that was using an optical scan system during the Presidential Primaries in 1996.

Thanks,

Cathi

Cathi Smothers

Hamilton County Election Commission