Flagging a smart card as voted prior to the CAST BALLOT

On the AV-TS Ballot Station Software, could we flag the smart card as voted right after the first page of a ballot is brought up on the screen, instead of flagging the smart card after the voter presses the CAST BALLOT screen button?

What is the point of waiting until the CAST BALLOT screen button is pressed?  If the card is flagged a voted prior to that, what difference would it make.  The voter should still be able to preview his selections before casting.

The reason for my request:
Jeff Hallmark told me today about an election experience with the AV-TS units in El Paso, TX.  The voter pressed the CAST BALLOT button and pulled the smart card out of the reader prior to the card being flagged as voted.  The voter card was still valid.

Could the ballot still be cast or will the machine always hang in a situation like that?

If the smart card was flagged as voted prior to the CAST BALLOT screen button being pressed, we would avoid the issue of a voter still having a valid smart card and casting more than one ballot.