From: Ken Clark
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 4:43 PM
Subject: RE: add button to change color for shading headers

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Tari Runyan
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 5:00 PM

Could we add a button that could universally change any shaded header background color as we now have in the color tab for Background - otherwise you have to manually change all the headers that are shaded
see attached

One small point of order.  "Shaded" and "Background Color" are orthogonal.  There isn't any such thing as the "shaded header background color".  The shaded checkbox doesn't make the header a gray color:  It takes the color that is there and shades it.  If the background color is white, then you get gray.  It the bg color is blue, you get a dirty blue.  Try it.

That said, I think I see what you are driving at here.  Just clicking the shaded checkbox is a lot easier than picking some esoteric color from the color dialog every time.  What you really are trying to say is "use this color when the shaded checkbox is checked".  Its not so much that the manually changing all the headers is the problem.  You have to click the shaded box at some point after all.  Its just that clicking a checkbox is easier than picking a color out of a color dialog.

Okay, we need an "override shaded color" button in the color dialog.  Leaving this color as transparent would leave the current behaviour intact.  That is, not transparent, but shaded in the current sense of the shaded checkbox.  Overriding the color would paint an an opague color as the background, not shade.  Makes sense.  This is pretty easy to implement, but it will have to wait for a major release since we need to store the color somewhere.  We'll try to slip it into 1.18 series.

One question though.  I bet that the lions share of the headers on your ballot other than the instruction text is shaded, right?  How about selecting the color you want for shaded headers as the ballot options header background color.  Don't click shaded in any of the headers.  Then for the couple of headers that are not shaded, pick white as the background header in the header dialog.  This works without a whole lot of mouse clicks.  Sufficient?

Ken