RE: Allow a Smart Card to be voted a specified number of times

From: Brian O'Connor [mailto:bocglobal@eathlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 5:41 PM
This is not proportional voting.......The pollworked declares "vote for 3 or vote for 5 or whatever the count", the delagate goes into the (lever) machine and votes with the pollworker resetting the machine each time.

I understand.  But we can save them steps by allowing them to hit the button beside the candidate they want multiple times and watch the number go 1-2-3 for that candidate.  This has the same end result as counting the ballot multiple times, but they get to see how all their votes are distributed at once, and can change their mind and redistribute their votes.  Say they have ten votes with their current level machine multiple ballot scheme.  They want to vote four times for A and six times for B.  If they loose count and vote five times for A, then they are screwed.

Anyway, its just an idea.  If they want us to put a counter on the smart card and vote the ballot multiple times, we can do that too.  That's even easier to implement.

There has got to be a better way !

Dictatorships have historically worked well...

Yes, this is big !  HBA does over $ 8.0 million in union elections annualy with this format and they are not the big player in this world.

Eight million ought to cover the change, yes.

Ken