From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 1:04 PM
To: rcr@dieboldes.com
Subject: RE: New York ballot and the "Push" in certain races

I don't have the fax, but I think I follow.  The candidates are cross endorsed.  Overvotes in a cross endorsed group go to the highest ranking party.  This is one of those changes that hits a lot of subsystems...

We would need to change the AVOS tally logic, plus changes to the download protocol and memory card format to store the party rankings.  Central count tally logic would need work as well.

AVTS would need the same changes as AVOS, plus it will need some kind of user interface to present this to the user.  We could either allow them to overvote within a party (current not allowed) and the tally only the ranking party.  Or we could automatically deselect the lower ranked party when a higher rank is selected.

GEMS side needs some race editor changes for the new race type flag, and rankings added to the voter group subsystem.

In short, we are talking major version number changes to AVOS, AVTS, and GEMS.

Keep in mind that cross endorsement isn't implemented in GEMS currently, nevermind the push variant.  That would need doing before we take on push.