RE: VIBS modifications for FL

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Mark S Earley
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 3:23 PM

In the future please follow up to the original posts, which were great.  We track change requests by subject, and "mods for Fl" isn't the subject of anything.

VIBS Changes Required by the Florida Division of Elections
They are not required by any Forida statute.  Florida does not get to dictate the scripts.  In fact, these scripts can be customized by the counties.  We don't go back for certification if one of our customers wants to change some of the wording.  This needs to be acknolodged and addressed, or it is going to bite you in the ass later.

 A. VIBS Welcome:
The 5 key has a raised feature to help the voter maintain orientation with the keypad.
None of my business, but I don't see a raised feature in the picture Ian posted today.
B. VIBS Instructions
The main navigation keys are the 4, 5, and 6 keys. Pressing the 4 key moves you backward through the ballot to the previous candidate or race. Pressing the 5 key selects or unselects a candidate. Pressing the 6 key moves you forward through the ballot to the next candidate or race.
Okay, we have an issue here.  For states that allow voters to not have to listen to all candidates (everywhere but Florida), there is a GEMS flag to allow the 8 and 2 keys to jump directly to the next/prev race.  The instructions are fixed and have to work for both these cases.  Other flags will probably be added in the future as needs arise.  Its a generic problem.

Since instructions are given to the voter on what each key does every candidate, I don't understand how putting them in the intro instructions helps.  Its just redundant, with no additional information given to the voter.  You can make a custom script for Florida certification if that is what it takes, but this can't be the stock audio that ships with GEMS.

Other keys will be explained if and when needed.

That sentence does not contain information.

B. VIBS Write-In Instructions:
To enter letters of the candidates name, press keys 2 through 9. For a space between names, press 1.  If you get confused during the write-in process, instructions will be repeated after a brief pause.

Two out of three of those sentences (16 out of 35 words) explains that this paragraph will be repeated.

Ken