RE: Order that Write-ins Appear on AccuVote Tape

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Steve Knecht
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 4:34 PM

I am submitting a new RCR for this old RCR.

Asking for follow-ups on old RCRs is good.
I would like completed also for the November 2000 primary.  Since that is 6 months from the submission date of June 24 1999, it should be doable.

In this case probably, but its the wrong conclusion.  We have requests that are older than this that may never be filled.  This is partly (in this case mostly) a resource issue.  As you know, Guy Lancaster, who was responsible for AVOS development, is no longer with us.

Understand that it is not always a resource issue though.  One can always hire more developers (or sales people).  At some point, the stuff they are working on is not worth the cost.  You somehow made it though the 1999 primary without this feature.  Presumably Guy knew that in 1999, and worked on something else instead.  I am going to step out on a limb and guess that you could also make it though this primary too.

Its not the best example, and we will make every effort to see that this request is filled.  In the case of this request, I suspect it simply fell through the cracks.  It was not a company-critical request, and that is about all we have been working on for years now.  We are working very hard as we speak to get the resources we need to see that these kinds of requests are completed in a timely manner.
So Ken, does it really matter whether we submit something that's a High, medium, low priority, in advance with reasonable dates?  Or when the customer calls in right before his election and says, where is the RCR I submitted two years ago?  That's where the Report Tape request came from.

Everything that is required is in the posting guidelines.  State the deadline, and the nature of the deadline.  In this case, the deadline is "For the November 2002 primary" and the nature of the deadline is "they have been asking for this for a long time, have lived without it, but sure would like it a lot".

Whether an RCR is completed doesn't really have anything to do with whether you submit it as "high".  Everyone thinks their request is a high priority, and has every right to.  What we need to know is when something needs to be completed, and what will happen if it is not.  We will never satisfy everyone's requests, and we're real sorry about that.  If we can't do something, we'll tell you, but we can't tell when the deadline is "the sooner the better".  If it looks like a request with a reasonable deadline has fallen through the cracks (like this one), post a follow-up and we'll get it back on track, or let you know it isn't going to happen.  As our development group strengthens, we also hope to provide more active feedback on what we are working on and the status of various projects.

Ken