RE: Unique Challenge Voter ID

Quick background questions for starters.  Which accounts are we talking about, how many units, what versions of hardware/software are they currently running.  If this is for a pending sale, what is the delivery date etc.

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Hallmark
Sent:
Wednesday, March 13, 2002 11:02 AM
To: rcr@dieboldes.com
Subject: RE: Unique Challenge Voter ID

RCR:

1)  Early Voting phase of election. Allow full alpha numeric entry of voters info to smart card from laptop. In short, regress to the former Challenge method of entering full voter info. early voting only.

    (keeps cost down as there are just a few locations)

2) Election Day. Using the Spyrus Number sheet, that has been broken down into blocks of 10 numbers, poll worker pre-enters a "block/blocks"of the numbers into the Spyrus,. The "block/blocks" entered can reach a maximum value that is dependent on the memory that is available. Subsequent Challenge ID's, from the same block, are entered to match the Spyrus's assigned block/blocks, if an entry error has occurred, from either end, the number will not be accepted. As the challenge ID number is issued from the Spyrus's cache of numbers it is removed from the cache.

Obviously double entry is a simplified cross check, it would be better to initially download the Spyrus with a starting block of numbers, from GEMS, when the Vote Center is created. The Spyrus and the Number Sheet it is loaded from then are tied together by a shared ID per election, said ID is displayed on Spyrus and printed. on sheet.

In most elections, Election day, there are relatively few Challenges.

The intent here is to shorten the list of numbers entered so that the Spyrus's memory limitation isn't compromised.

[Jeff Hallmark]