Re: Uploading on a fax line at the central office

  I don't forsee any problem using VTS on a fax line.  VTS is waiting for particular initialization codes to indicate that an Accu-Vote is requesting an upload connection and will essentially ignore anything else.  Thus either the modem will completely ignore fax calls because it is not set up for them (likely) or it will pass fax protocol codes back to the VTS computer that will look like noise (they will almost certainly BE noise because VTS is waiting for a 2400 bps connection and I expect that the fax connect codes won't be passed at that) and VTS will ignore them.  So the calling fax machine will time out and go away, at least for a while.

  Of course it's always a good idea to test such things.  :-)

                  Guy

"Ian S. Piper" wrote:

 I've got a small customer in Calhoun County, Florida (12 AV-OS units) that would like to use one (1) modem on the central office fax line for receiving uploads to the central host computer on election night. Does anybody know of any problem with doing that? This is a Florida account, so I assume that VTS is the program to be used until GEMS is certified. My concern is "what happens to VTS when a receiving modem gets fax-type data instead of AccuVote data?".Does VTS crash?Do you have to reset the upload server?Does it ignore it and do nothing at all? Anybody?  Ian