RE: counter groups 1 & 2

From: Nel Finberg [mailto:nel@gesn.com]
To: Ken Clark
Subject: counter groups 1 & 2

Ken, the Report Precinct and Vote Center Status reports contain counter group 1 and 2 columns.  Do these refer to the first two counter groups defined in an election?  If not, what counter groups do they refer to?  The relationship between the counter groups 1 and 2 and those defined in the Counter Group Editor is not as clear as between voter groups 1 and 2 and voter groups defined under the Parties and Absentee/NonAbsentee tabs in the Voter Group Editor.

Nel

Another excellent question for the support list.  The 1.94 Accu-Vote has one or two counter groups.  AFAIK only Anoka (and I guess Washington now) uses the second counter group (absentee).  These reports show the counter groups of the vote center.  You can set up two counter groups for a vote center by putting both counter groups in the same vote center category in the counter group dialog.

The counter group dialog is less that intuitive -- I agree.  Hopefully it will improve one day.  Most people just learn how to set up their counter groups a certain way and stick with it.  That is pretty easy to do since Minnisota is the only exception.

Accu-Vote 2.0 will allow more than two counter groups in a vote center.  These reports and the counter group editor will need to be modified when that happens.

Ken