Re: AVTS Early Voting

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Piper
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: AVTS Early Voting

Steve:  It's not so much polling places we're concerned about as Early Voting sites.
I'm didn't know there would be a hardware configuration difference between the two.  I thought that polling places and early voting sites shared the same database diskettes.

Are you saying that polling places with multiple languages (Chinese graphics included) could fit their database onto a 1.44MB floppy?

Nel:  case in point - the 3-language, 38 race Alameda County database creates an 87 kb .dld file.  While polling places need only store one or several ballot styles, early voting sites hold ballot styles for the entire election, thus a much greater size.

Would the polling place database never exceed the size of a 1.44MB floppy?
Ian:  You just don't know when you'll need a floppy or and Imation disk.  It sounds like this should be a requirement on laptop pollbooks.  It's an extra on existing PollBooks, but will be standard on future PollBooks
 Ken:  That would be a waste for non-VIBS polling places.  This was explained at length at least once before.