RE: (SERIOUS) RE: Gems 1.17.2 - avts 3.13.1.4 - Gaston, NC

A little more information.  The bug has apparently been around since 3.12.2, but we have run lots of elections using version since then.    The bug has to do with removing the floppy when AVTS tells you to, instead of exiting ballot station before removing the floppy.  I imagine shutting down first has been SOP everywhere and we have just been lucky.

Jane, if this sounds about right for your case, try exiting ballot station before removing the floppy and see if that helps.  If not, send me the DB and I'll try to reproduce your problem here.  It is worth noting that Steve's error was "Error Validating Main File - Election.adt" while yours was "Invalid file header - election.adt".  I am still too foggy on the details of the problem to know whether they are the same or not.

Ken

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 5:14 PM

This looks like the same bug as Jeff Hintz and Steve Knecht reported under "Opening Proceedures".  I understand it has been fixed, and will be in (I think) 3.13.4.  I am not sure when the bug was introduced, nor the nature of the problem, but Tab might so you can try asking him.

This is a serious bug.  Having a corrupt election.adt on election day will spell disaster, so if you have a broken release (whatever those are) you'll need to upgrade.  Oddly, El Paso TX ran their last election on 3.13.1.4 and didn't come across the problem, but like I say I don't know what triggers it.  Or maybe there is a work around;  I dunno.

Ken