NEWS: Unisys, Dell, MS team on vote technology

  How many remember our partnership with Unisys?  It seems
that they're ready to come back.  [And no, I'm not bitter!]

Unisys, Dell, MS team on vote technology
ZDnet article by Sandeep Junnarkar
January 11, 2001

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2673654,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

Unisys, a maker of mainframe computers, announced Thursday
that it is
teaming up with Microsoft Corp. and Dell Computer Corp. to
create a
technology-based system that could replace what many call
antiquated
ballot-counting machines now scattered across the country.

Unisys (NYSE: UIS ), based in Blue Bell, Pa., will act as an
integrator of
the various technologies that will be used to create the
voting system.
Dell (Nasdaq: DELL) will supply the computers, touch-screen
monitors, and
keyboards, while Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) will create the
software to
operate the system, a Unisys representative said.

This coalition is one of the more recent efforts announced.
It will face a
slew of players--from start-ups that focus solely on voting
systems to
other tech giants such as IBM--that are also salivating at
the opportunity
to replace the much-maligned systems now in use.

[ ... ]

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2673654,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

This message was distributed through the e-lection mailing
list.
For info and archives see
http://www.research.att.com/~lorrie/voting/

        Guy