Re: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Dix
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:30 PM
Subject: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

I received a call from State of Virginia with the following questions regarding red ovals and I need assistance in responding.

1.) Can we use red ovals?   Yes the color of red ink must be Pantone 032

2. ) Are there issues with the blind population in regards to seeing the red ovals?  According to the National Institute for the Blind, 90% of the blind have limited vision.  Those that are colour blind see colour in shades of grey.  Red is seen as almost black.  The ideal is a 14 point font on white paper with good lighting.  I would think that using one of those technician's lamps with the circular fluorescent lamp and magnification would be ideal.  I believe they are used for repairing circuit boards.

3.) What is the acceptable width of the line that makes up the red oval?

4.) Can I print all ovals in black and then make a second pass at the ballot covering the black ovals with red ink?  I have run an election with this combination.   About 4,000 voters.  No problems.

5.) Does anyone have the printer specs for red ovals?

They would like a response by September 1, 2001 so that they can discuss at a state wide meeting.

I would suggest you call the local blind association and discuss what is ideal.

Greg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry J. Dix

Vice President of Operations