RE: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Larry Dix
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 3:30 PM
To: Support@gesn.com
Subject: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

I received a call from State of Virginia with the following questions regarding red ovals and I need assistance in responding.

1.) Can we use red ovals?   Yes the color of red ink must be Pantone 032
[Steve Ricke]

Pantone 032 U red or Pantone 130 U pumpkin orange can be used

2. ) Are there issues with the blind population in regards to seeing the red ovals?

3.) What is the acceptable width of the line that makes up the red oval?
[Steve Ricke] 16 thousands of an inch

4.) Can I print all ovals in black and then make a second pass at the ballot covering the black ovals with red ink?
[Steve Ricke] As long as the black ovals are 2 to 3 thousands and the ink does not bleed into the red.  It is the total thickness of the black (diffused black counts) which matters.

I have two concerns.  1) Allowing enough time for the black ink to dry before making the second pass.  2) Will rewetting the black ink with the red ink cause the black to diffuse into the red?

5.) Does anyone have the printer specs for red ovals?
[Steve Ricke] No more than 16 thousands.

They would like a response by September 1, 2001 so that they can discuss at a state wide meeting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry J. Dix

Vice President of Operations

Global Election Systems