FW: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Ricke [mailto:steve@gesn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 5:32 PM
To: Nel Finberg
Subject: RE: State of Virginia Red Oval questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Nel Finberg [mailto:nel@gesn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:54 PM
To: Steve Ricke

3.) What is the acceptable width of the line that makes up the red oval?
[Steve Ricke] 16 thousands of an inch

Steve, I don't understand this.  If the red is invisible to the sensors, what difference does it make how thick the ovals are?  The available thickness is one of the selling points.

Nel
[Steve Ricke]
I was using the Famous Names ballot as a guide.
You are likely correct.  No reference in the ballot specs rev. D.  Specs need updating.

Have run tests with special ballots proving Pantone 130 U Pumpkin Orange is virtually invisible to Visible Light readers.  This was done on white paper stock.  Colored paper stock may well cause problems with thick ovals.

Use only Pantone 032 U or 130 U.  No black or other pigmentation to darken the oval. Keep the printing plates clean.  Use white paper stock.
If the printer abides by this, I would guess the thickness of the ovals should not be a significant factor.

Also, A black oval line cannot exceed 0.002 inch according to the specs.  I wrote that they could be up to 0.003 inch. My mistake.