Re: CALIF. AVTS Certification Questions needing Answers

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 1:30 PM
Subject: CALIF. AVTS Certification Questions needing Answers

The following 10 questions came up yesterday in certification and we did not know the answers.  1-8 are things we need specific answers to.  9 and 10 simply require some response.  I think most of these are Ken or Tab questions.

Item 1: NEL/TAB/Ken RECALL: We didn't have a recall race programmed for our certification yesterday.  So we need to describe what we do.

California recall law states that the question is presented to the voter in Yes No format.  Then whether they vote YES or NO, they then vote on the candidates that follow.  Please describe how our recall works.  Can you give me a screen to show the first and second questions.

Example:
Do you want to recall Steve Knecht for Novato City Council?
YES
NO
The following candidates have filed for office:
Vote for 1
Dana LaTour
Frank Kaplan
In GEMS/BallotStation a recall question consists of two races. The RECALL quesiton and the RECALLED office.  If a voter correctly votes on the RECALL question (ie does not overvote nor blankvote) then the RECALL office is enabled for voting.  Since the BallotStation prevent overvoting the actual logic is that when an item is voted in the RECALL question this enables the RECALLED office to be voted.  If all items in the RECALL question are subsequently unvoted then the RECALLED office votes are cleared and the race is disabled.

Tab