Re: Placer - Shimming Central Count AccuVotes

Well Don, you have discovered the down side of shimming the reader open. The right and left side of the ballots must pass through the restricted areas on both sides of the reader to prevent double ballot feeds. Nominal ballot thickness runs from .007 to .010 .. If you open the reader up to, lets say .014, then a two ballot feed is completely possible. The wider the gap, the more likely a double (or more) ballot feed...

Just be aware of the problems you can create.......
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 9:58 morning
Subject: Re: Placer - Shimming Central Count AccuVotes

Steve: Thanks again for your response. I have shimmed out 4 of the units and they are working better. On one I had used some very thin neoprene washers. On testing it was found the unit would accept 2 ballots, which would probably not be as significant a problem with ballots being hand fed. Upon changing to the paper shim used in the other unitd the ballot count was correct on all decks run. It would appear that the ballots are not scored and this may be causing the problem since the fold line is rather thicker than what we usually see. Does this sound feasible? Would scored ballots be a problem when using the feeders - Cause them to tear when being fed? The jammed ballots we have had are really jammed to the point that a good deal tear and cannot be removed from the read head without taking it apart. The majority of the torn portion can sometimes be removed, bot on 4 of the units ballot pieces have been forced into the idler wheels and locked them up.
    I am really open to any suggestions. Right now I would tend to agree with Steve that perhaps we need to look at special units for CC and accu-feed units if the ballot issue were to continue. Could CC units be set to detect ballot thickness to determine a double ballot rather than a physical limitation?