SSH Internet for Election Night Reporting

Comments please.  I received call from Andrew Hinkle at SOS in CA. He indicates that they want to replace their existing WAN for election night reporting to the SOS mainframe with an "SSH" layer secure shell using the internet.  "Do vendors want to take advantage of that?"  Andrews number is 916-653-2320 (in case you ever want to call him).  Since we are doing sneaker net now, it can't get much easier than that.  Is there a way for us to do an SSH layer (don't know what I'm talking about), without alot of code changing?  What questions do you want me to ask him?

Steve Knecht
Diebold Election Systems
415-893-9941 office   415-893-9951 fax
415-225-6591 cell