Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 10:30 AM
Subject: FW: El Paso Run-Off Election Font Problem

Update on this problem and tentative explanation.

With Jeff Hintz help, we have determined that this problem was due to the following;

 On Gems a font was selected as Arial Narrow 11.  When downloading to a NT version VTS all of the fonts represented on the screen were the same.  But when down loading to a WIN 98 VTS (that is what El Paso has) in some of the races the Font was different from each other even though it was the same database.  Our assumption is that WIN98 AVTS did not have the font available within its library and it just took a font it felt the most correct.  If all were the same then it would not have been a problem, but since font selected was arbitrary that is why we had complains.

Will we see this again with the R6 units?  (CE vs. NT) Should the program warn you on start up that the font required are not available?

The best fix for El Paso is to replace old R4 units with new R6.  That is what will happen before their next election in November 2002.  They have 135 R4 AVTS with WIN 98.  They just received 100 R6 to replace old units but we still need 35 more R6’s to complete the change over.

Thanks Jeff.

Juan A. Rivera

Diebold Election Systems

(214) 335-3478