RE: losing new databases

The problem is with database names that are not legal file names.  For example "foo:bar".  Tari, I think you will find that you can't back up databases with names like that either.

Please folks, when you send in bug reports, please eliminate at least the first-order variables in the cause.  Two minutes would have revealed that a "test" database doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

Whit, please take a look at this.  In the mean time, support people are instructed not to create databases with  \ / : * ? " < > | in the database name.  The election title however can have whatever characters you wish.

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Talbot Iredale
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 6:52 PM
To: Bugtrack
Subject: Re: losing new databases

Discovered that if you create new database and then close it - it is gone.  You must backup to keep it.  It would seem that a message that prompts you to save changes before exiting would be much safer and more in line with Windows standards.
It is very discouraging to have a whole day's work disappear because you closed the file- whether on purpose or not-  when a prompt would allow you to save before exiting.

Any other thoughts?
Tari
Tari,

    I just tried creating a new database on my machine and closing it and I do not loose it.  Do you have any more information about what you did?

Tab