Re: Ovals positioned back to back on ballots.

Good point for Florida and the like, but not really of much interest to drier climes.  But if we approve for one, we should approve for every one.

Ian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Ovals positioned back to back on ballots.

  Sharpie markers may have a bleed-through problem but they don't have the slow drying problem that the Berol markers have.  When working in a very humid environment, marks made with Berol markers have been known to be wet when the voter brings the ballot to be scanned.  The result is that the ink accumulates inside the reader until it causes errors.  The solution is to use the fast drying Sharpie markers instead.  Thus I wouldn't be too quick to remove the Sharpie marks from the approved marking pen list.

          Guy

How about if we remove Sharpie pens from the list of approved ballot marking
instruments and train our customers not to use Sharpie pens?  This seems
like the easy, low-tech solution.