Re: Logging Scanner Jams (was: Audit trail improvement suggestions)

Excuse me while I play the devil's advocate here.

Is this "jam event record" something we want to have displayed or recorded at all?  If there is a problem with the count totals between the AccuVote display and the ballots in the Ballot Box, why do you want to so quickly use it as an excuse?  What would you do if there was no jam event recorded and yet there was still a mismatch between ballots in the box and the counter on the AccuVote?

What would you get from a jam event recordThat a jam happened?  But who was at fault: the poll worker or the machine?
How do you know if the mismatch was caused by that jam.
Would they call into question the results of an election if a unit showed multiple jams yet the ballots totals matched the counters?

I understand it would be great to have the detail for troubleshooting, but do you think they would find the fault due to the poll worker when they have a machine that could be perceived as "at fault" instead?  I think less info is better under these circumstances.

What kind of interpretation would someone make when seeing that detail?
Example
"Oh, look here!  The paper tape shows it jammed during the day.  The machine must be responsible for the error in the totals."

If we provide this "jam event record" as an excuse, wouldn't it throw doubt onto the integrity of the machine and its programming.  I believe it is better to leave answers for these unsubstantiated anomalies to the discretion of the election supervisor.

Outside of the "O" level ROMS, when a ballot is processed into a Ballot Box by the AccuVote, it is counted.  If a reader takes a ballot, it accurately scans that ballot and deposits it into the Ballot Box.  If there is any problem with the reader (i.e., hung or failed Self Test), it will not process the ballot into the Ballot Box.

Play out an election night scenario in your head with these kind of questions arising.  Now imagine there is nobody there from Global to explain the information provided.

Let's not consider every user's request as an absolute.  Perhaps the user is just as much in the dark about the ramifications of that request as we are.

Ian