RE: Spell Checker in GEMS

I can’t spell, and neither can the support group (except Tyler), and I have frequent phone calls with our customers, and I know they can’t spell.

:-)

This RCR predates the RCR list actually.

Is it too much trouble to get a spell checker built into GEMS  I have been asked about 20 times now.

Mike

In a word, yes, unfortunately.   For all RCRs relating to the GEMS rich text editor, the rule is that whatever WordPad can do, we can do, and whatever it can't, we can't.  Or more precisely in this case, we can't without building our own spell checker and shipping a dictionary with GEMS etc.

Just to explain all this since its a reoccurring theme:  Microsoft gives developers a basic text editor to embed into applications.  If however they gave us all the bells and whistles of Word for Windows, a developer could just wrap it in a window can call it "Ken's Word".  Obviously MS doesn't want that.

We are free of course to develop our own word processor, but that would take some time...

Ken