Re: ability to clear one precinct in a multiprecinct vote center

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Lancaster <glanca@dieboldes.com>
To: rcr@dieboldes.com <rcr@dieboldes.com>
Date: Monday, March 20, 2000 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: ability to clear one precinct in a multiprecinct vote center

Tari Runyan wrote:
 Guy -  you need to unset for election to add a new vote center
  A technical detail that I'm sure could be overcome if this was the direction that we wanted to take. :)

> - thereby
> =
> >> clearing all the results so a Okay to clear precinct 102 on the memory =
> >> card in Sup functions seems more logical and less potentially =
> >> problematic to me.  IMHO
> >>
> >> Tari
  To restate the request: add an option in the supervisor functions to selectively clear counters by precinct.  A few questions:

1) What do we do about the public ballot counter and the card counters (which are not uploaded but which appear on the AV reports)?  a) Leave as is, b) reset them to zero, or c) try to adjust them for the cleared ballots (not possible if ballots are shared between precincts).

after you clear a precinct (assumming you are still in election mode) and signal to recount the precinct a new zero tape would print ( for that precinct )  locking any activity out to the other precincts already counted- then you would count the precinct again - feed ender card and get results -  then proceed with regular upload - does that sound feasible ?

2) How serious would it be if someone accidentally cleared the wrong precinct?    it would require recounting

Should we warn that this should be done only on a backup copy? can this be uploaded easily?

 If the results have not been uploaded, do we make it more difficult to clear the counters?   not necessarily   For clearing the memory card we require that the operator re-enter the password and re-confirm the clearing operation. yes

3) What kind of audit trail do we need?  I think one on the memory card tape as well as on the system log would be sufficient

We currently have an audit log entry for clearing the counters but there is no way that we could record which subset of counters was cleared.  Would printing something on the tape be sufficient?

4) When is this *required*?  ideally I would love to have some testing time before the november elections - End of June would allow all of July to test and give us leeway before november art goes to printers .

 I'm trying to get out a V2 release RSN (i.e. the next few weeks) so maybe we could try this out in that version.

[Skip the rest unless you're keen on the details.]

For the prompt sequence, how about:

CLEAR COUNTERS &
RESUME COUNTING?

put in something that tells us - Card uploaded ok to clear counters?

clear all counters? then

clear precinct 101?

clear precinct 102?

then, reset precinct 102 to 0?

keep other totals ?

If not uploaded then you get the following and a NO response exits the supervisor functions.
DO YOU HAVE A
BACKUP COPY?

CLEAR ALL
COUNTERS?

If NO to the previous then you are prompted for each precinct (or poll) where n is the precinct (or poll) ID.
CLEAR COUNTERS
FOR nnnnnnnnnnnnn?

If clearing individual precincts, the memory card label is printed once as a header and then for each cleared precinct it prints:
COUNTERS CLEARED FOR
   nnnnnnnnnnnn
TIME:  hh/mm/ss  mm/dd/yy

     Guy