RE: AVTS - PA Certification - Straight Party Voting

  •  (1) Overvoting a race clears all candidates in that race except for that candidate being voted.
  •  (2) Voting for a candidate that is already voted in a race clears all candidates in the race, including that candidate.
  •  (3) Once any candidate in a race has been touched, that race can no longer be controlled by a straight party race.  I use the term "touch" rather than "crossover" deliberately.  It does not matter whether the race was touched in order to select or deselect a candidate, nor the party of the candidate being (de)selected.  Once touched, straight party votes will not be applied to the race even if the straight party votes could have been applied without causing an overvote.
  •  (4) If a race has never been touched, the first touch in that race clears all straight party votes before that candidate is selected.

This still doesn't do it.  Rule 2 conflicts with rule 4.  If I have an untouched race with a SP voted republican candidate, and I then touch that candidate explicitly, should it end up voted or not voted that touch?  Rule 2 says no, rule 4 says yes.  I gather from you and Dieckman's suggestion earlier today that the end result should be that the candidate is not selected.  So, I am rewording the last rule to:
  • (4) If a race has never been touched, toggle the touched candidate and clear any other SP voted candidates in the race.
I imagine it is academic.

This is now complete and will be in GEMS 1.16.2 and AVTS 1.13.1.  We'll do a testing release tomorrow.  There are two new checkboxes in the GEMS AVTS setup dialog.  The rule (1) and (2) are selected by the "One Click Vote" checkbox.  Rule (3) and new-(4) are selected by the "PA Straight Party" checkbox.  PA will check them both.  Everyone else should back away slowly.

Ken