RE: AVTS - PA Certification - Straight Party Voting

I spoke with Bob Diekman and this is what we have come up with.  Let me know if this sounds good to you.

I assure you, none of this sounds good to me.

Okay, here is the final behavior.

  • Overvoting a race clears all candidates in that race except for that candidate being voted.
  • Voting for a candidate that is already voted in a race clears all candidates in the race, including that candidate.
  • Once any candidate in a race has been touched, that race can no longer be controlled by a straight party race.  I use the term "touch" rather than "crossover" deliberately.  It does not matter whether the race was touched in order to select or deselect a candidate, nor the party of the candidate being (de)selected.  Once touched, straight party votes will not be applied to the race even if the straight party votes could have been applied without causing an overvote.
  • If a race has never been touched, the first touch in that race clears all straight party votes before that candidate is selected.
I am fairly convinced at this point that this whole exercise has little to do with Pennsylvania electoral legislation, but let me know if any of the above needs correction.

Ken