RE: AVTS - PA Certification - Straight Party Voting

I spoke with Bob Diekman and this is what we have come up with.  Let me know if this sounds good to you.  In the case of a race that is more than a vote for one, if a voter deselects a candidate this would erase the vote for that candidate and all candidates, just as if it were a vote for one.  Remember that if the voter went and crossed over, that by touching a different candidate would give the vote to that candidate and erase all other votes.  So by deselecting a candidate in a race that is more that a vote for one, this would not only remove the vote for that candidate, but would erase all votes, leaving the race blank, and requiring the voter to make all new choices.

Jeff Hintz

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 12:03 PM
To: rcr@dieboldes.com
Subject: RE: AVTS - PA Certification - Straight Party Voting

You are absolutely right.  The only way to make it work, would be to have the ability to deselect the candidate.  I would think we would want the deselection function to still work as before, but if you touch a different candidate, that would erase all other votes and select that candidate.

Right.  Thas was my assumption.  This brings me back to my original (unanswered) question however:

Dog Catcher race, vote for three.  Two republicans:  bob and sue.  Three democrats:  john, dave, and bill.  One independent:  jane.

Voter votes for republican straight party.  This selects bob and sue for dog catcher.  Next they click on sue.  I assume that deselects sue's vote.  Finally the voter clicks on the republican straight party candidate again.  I assume that deselects republican.  What happens to the dog catcher race?

Ken