Re: BallotStationCE-4-1-0-2 audio ballot race advancement

Adding 2/8 next/prev race keys is pretty trivial.  It does potentially mean a longer list of instructions every candidate though:  5 keys to explain instead of 3.  This is why the idea was rejected in the initial design.  Is everyone comfortable with increasing the instruction list?  I am not entirely.  Perhaps this is a reasonable thing to make an option.

Ken, IF the 0 key is used to repeat instructions at any time, I'm confused how the instruction list would be longer for "every candidate"?  Again, having run it only briefly I think this is a matter of creating an appropriate "scripts".  Reading the instructions at the beginning of every name may be too much.  I'd like to see us get some real world input at this point.  We've (Deborah actually) got a good relationship with an ADA group in Berkeley if its the right time for this type of input.  What do you think?

Presently, for example, a candidates name is read 4 times by the time that candidate is actually selected.  Perhaps some streamlining can be done here.  Perhaps a 5 key instruction accessible with the 0 key during voting is better than instructions with each candidate.  Again, real world input would be helpful here.  Actually it would also be helpful to see the ADA folks debate the point among themselves so they can see that even within their own group they have differing opinions.

If we do add 8/2, then the current behavior of 4 when at the top of a race is redundant with the previous race key.  If there is a previous race key, then previous candidate should advance to the last candidate of the previous race, not the first.

Agreed.  But, I think you need more input than just what I've given here.  Also, I think of the 8 or on my keyboard the up-arrow as moving forward in races.

As a final note, keep in mind that voting is largely a linear process.  The only reason a voter would want to be skipping ahead though races is if they go (way) back to a previous race and then want to move forward.

I would respectfully disagree with this analysis.  I think many people want to NOT vote a race or series of races, such as a series of Judge races that they don't know about or care about, where they would skip forward for 5 or 6 races.  This is not at all unusual.  Even just skipping one race is very common.

Right now moving forward through voted races is a bit tedious because even the candidates that cannot be voted nor canceled are played.  An option to skip those candidates automatically is in the works, and may render this whole discussion moot.

For the most part it would render it useless, except for ballots that involve alot of races that folks don't care about, again, particularly judges, local measures, etc.