Nearterm AVTS 4.x roadmap

The California declared/nondeclared bug reported by Knecht is going to require a major version number change to fix.  Unfortunately the ballot station currently has no concept of Voter Group 2.  This will require a change in the database format (to store vg2) and a change in the protocol (to transfer vg2).  We were about to release AVTS 4.2 with mp3 compressed audio.  This release will have to be pushed back to make room for the California changes.

Strictly adhering to our release policies, the California change should also require a major version number bump to GEMS (because of the protocol change).  We can't reasonably expect all of California to upgrade to 1.18 this late in the game though, so we'll slip the change into GEMS 1.17.21 and declare this a bug rather than a new feature.  What good are rules unless you can bend them now and again.

In summary:

AVTS 4.1 will continue with the minor enhancements requested by Florida.  Once we have the Florida certification paper, we can declare the 4.1 branch pretty much dead.

AVTS 4.2 will be released soon (hopefully tomorrow).  It will address the California VG2 issue.  CA will need to run this version in the March primary, along with GEMS 1.17.21.

AVTS 4.3 will be released later this week.  It will have support for MP3 compressed audio and Windows CE version 3.0.

As always, all features will be merged forward.  So, 4.3 will (eventually) contain the 4.1 changes made for Florida.  Keep a close eye on the readme files.

Ken